Monday, July 30, 2007

A Tribute to Coke

New York Times has a great article about the New Museum of Coca-Cola. Whenever I travel abroad, I always try to buy a coke or two because somehow, every coke I buy gives someone in Atlanta a job. Coke then is my tangible expression of my love of home. And so, here are some highlights of why Coke is the best ever:

Corporate goals of Coca-cola: "To Refresh the World, Mind and Spirit; To Inspire Moments of Optimism Through Our Brands and Our Actions; To Create Value.”

Andy Warhol's comment: “A Coke is a Coke,” he said, “and no amount of money can get you a better Coke than the one the bum on the corner is drinking.”

Founding Fathers: Coke lore is full of stories of the company’s leaders being obsessed with getting everyone everywhere to love it. “I’d like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony” goes Coke’s classic jingle.

Community: “At its best,” a narrator explains, “Coca-Cola advertising opens hearts and minds.” From diversity, the ads assert, Coke molds a coherent community, bound together by shared experience and taste.

Author: "Coke adds more than life"..."I filled and refilled my cup, drinking with my fellow Cokatarians in faithful communion."

Conclusion: "All the effervescence didn’t allow too many cynical impulses to bubble up. Later that night when driving by Coke’s New World, I could see the glass pillar through which I first entered, illuminated in a heavenly blue. Within it a floating green bottle hovered, glowing with the promise that, yes, in time, everyone shall taste salvation. "

No comments: