Sunday, July 15, 2007

One Time It Got Supercold when I was hiking to WV and I wandered around rural MD all night in the rain and caught a train back to DC the next morning

(note to reader(s): I have an unrelenting belief that poetry should rhyme. Maybe because Wordsworth was my favorite poet when I first started trying, or maybe because I mask my incompetency at poetry by hiding behind a need to rhyme all the time ('if only i could pair two words that don't rhyme, the whole of the english language would be available for my expression'). In any case, I also struggle with doing things in advance, so all of my "poems" are written sans editing or pauses...could that placate any perception you have of mediocrity?)


"Training Love"
The trains sways to and fro but head steadily straight
and the memories stil linger, but I'm too young to hate
anyone for taht kind of stupid mistake you made.
me leaving forever is the only price you paid

what had started out an adventure quickly turned to love
friendship so exciting was surely a sign from above
that though the two of us pretended not to see
this friendship would soon a romance be

and so we consented to the inevitable attraction
and moved in together as a natural reaction
and though I never gave us nary a second thought
this happy pairing, you apparently never bought

While I boldly threw my heart away
you hedged your bets and kept your out of the fray
of heart-rending emotions and differing commitment
and so thus began our lingering denouement

I argued for love neverending and thru every temperment
you said I love only if you're faithful, then you adulterated with several men
and though my love would've been forever, with that you went too far
and all that's left of us is a bitter memory in this swaying train-car.

No comments: