Sunday, July 15, 2007

Notes from Christian Assembly Church in Pasadena, CA on Nov 19, 2006

(done during service)
At Worship Service in Christian Assembly Church
Pants too short and ankles showing
but all around are faces glowing
absorbed in praising the One above
my pants' shortcomings pale before such love
so upward will look I
and let my exposed ankle worry pass me by

(done after service while trying to explain the above stanza to my fellow churchgoers)
An Ode to my Too-Short Pants
The hem and shoe were never to meet
four inches between my pants and feet
Exposed to the elements and other people's eyes
an empty testimony to how fast time flies
My first clothing purchase, not three years old
Oh, the memories and hardships these tan pants hold!
of the flight of Joseph from Potiphar's wife that cold November night
to the weeks spent in the closet because I was fat and they too tight
And yet in all this time of wearing these pants
I never once thought to dance
and have the legs they so artfully enclose
express the joy their owner knows
To dance before God and all His creation
To dance for joy of my infatuation
of having legs to put them on
to wear them happily even if my legs are too long
So let this poem guide the dance
that I'll do now to celebrate my pants

***
Those were so dang good pants. And while these poems make me seem shallow and overly concerned about my appearance in a church service, if you could have seen how well-dressed and manicured these people were and how I was in the middle of my Vagabonding Adventure 06, you'd understand the 'pant' angst, I humorously expressed.

No comments: